Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Owning Old Things Is Cool.


I've been in love with maps and globes since I immigrated from the Philippines in 1989.  Flying overseas at the age of three, I developed a distinct memory of that experience.

The wonderment of seeing the ENTIRE world on the face of a rotating ball is still not lost on me. When I find maps dated before my time, I am immediately dwarfed by the realization that even something as solid as the ground we walk on, can be encapsulated in a globe that induces emotions relevant to our history.

Owning old things is cool. They remind you of a past that can only be present in the moment by wearing your dad's over sized vintage sweater that's pilling from wash or dancing to Nina Simone as she sings "Little Girl Blue" on your vinyl record player.

Any found object or antique we find must be worth the time we put into curating its aesthetic, but nothing we do can create the nostalgia of memories that illuminate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment